Monday, March 29, 2010

A spring in my step

I had a most excellent checkup with Dr. Cameron today. Two other doctors, and some tests which proved misleading, had raised some concerns recently. But now with the right data and some good perspective, I have a fresh start to the spring season. Wow, what a great feeling.

Background, if it interests you, goes something like this. Last July, when researching my pulmonary issue, we had noticed some dilation (aka widening) of the aortic root, the part of the artery near the heart. This dilation wasn't there before my September 2008 Ross Procedure, and it wasn't there immediately afterward, but had progressed in the 9 months afterward. Dilation isn't uncommon after the Ross, because the pulmonary tissue moved there isn't accustomed to the higher pressures on the right side of the heart. Continued dilation can ultimately lead to tears or ruptures (aka dissection), which isn't a good thing. But fortunately in most Ross patients the dilation stops, never causing a problem again.

In November and February I had tests that seemed to suggest the dilation was continuing, but it turns out they weren't the right tests for the job. The tests were echocardiograms, and are generally useful for measuring things like ventricle size and valve insufficiencies (leaks). But in an adult it turns out that measuring the aorta with an echo can mislead. In my case the numbers in a single test bounced between "the high 4's and 5.5" centimeters. This misled one doctor who too quickly commented surgery might be necessary to redo all the work that had been done in 2008. Yikes, that was a wake up call.

So, today we learn from Dr. Cameron that a CT scan instead is the best way to monitor the aorta size in an adult. My CT, done back in February, shows my aorta hasn't measurably changed since last July! That is awesome, and completely dismisses the notion that a procedure of any kind is needed. This is something we simply keep an eye on, measuring again with another CTA in October, and hoping no further changes occur. No medications are needed since my blood pressure is fairly low already, and I'm great with that!

One change I do have to follow is in lifting weights. From here out it's suggested that I don't lift anything more than 50 lbs. Basically I'm treated like someone with an aortic aneurysm, even though it's technically my pulmonary tissue that's dilated. Since there's no data on this for people like me, we play it safe. So, a few changes at the gym and less moving furniture and such, but I think I can get used to that!

All in all, a great day, and a huge relief. On to springtime fun!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear no surgery and you're getting the care that's needed. Keep up the good work. Reat news for 3/29!

Unknown said...

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you,
Barb

Unknown said...

Great News!

Bill B said...

Good news, although being an adult could be debated :)