Saturday, August 29, 2009

One step closer

I love it when research on multiple fronts finds the same conclusions.

We met this week with my cardiologist, who first identified my problem with an echocardiogram back in June. It was great to step back and get his perspective. He definitely favors the minimally-invasive procedures as a first step, and echo'd the words from Dr. Ringel, that my problem has "no perfect solution". After reaching out to the director of cardiology at the National Institutes of Health about my case, he learned that Columbia University in New York is one the centers of excellence on pulmonary artery and valve treatment. If I end up with a Melody valve, the 3rd non-invasive step I mentioned, Columbia is quite likely the hospital that would treat me.

We also learned more about the 2nd minimally-invasive step that would effectively eliminate my pulmonary valve. This is the procedure that sounded so weird to us last week. It seems, though, that your heart can tolerate a leaking or missing pulmonary valve when your lungs are healthy. Unhealthy lungs, like those from smoking or lung disease, create back-pressure when the heart pumps blood to the lungs from the right ventricle. Where normal pressure is about 30-35, unhealthy lungs can push this to 60 or 70, causing problems that back up into other areas of the heart. Someone in this condition definitely needs a pulmonary valve. My pressure measured about 27 before surgery, which is a great indication that this, if needed, could work for me. Good thing the only thing I ever smoked were my tires!

No comments: