Saturday, May 31, 2008

So, what do I mean?

So, what do I mean by "A Car Does Not The Driver Make"?

Years ago I owned a Nissan Sentra. While having a particularly good balance between power and handling, it was nothing close to what anyone would mistake as a sports car. With 68 screaming horsepower, it was best to turn off the power-grabbing air conditioning off to avoid holding up cars behind me on hills!

It was with this car that I began autocrossing, a competitive event where you race against the clock through cones, typically in a parking lot. And it was at this point that I realized it didn't matter so much the kind of car you drove, but rather how well you drove it. In a lively discussion with friends regarding the Porsches, BWMs, and similar around us, I soon said the words "a car does not the driver make", meaning, well, that even if you have a good car doesn't make you a good driver.

These days I'm often reminded of this. Tools do not make the carpenter. Education does not make the student. Technology does not make the software developer. And so on. And now that I have a real sports car, I still have plenty to learn before I can drive it as well I'd like!

1 comment:

Mag said...

This blog is a great idea, for so many, many reasons.

As I read your words I can "hear" you voice, and it makes me feel happy that you and AM and the kids are in my life.

Your friend and SIL,
love and hugs,
Maggy