Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Better than just 'recovery'

My thinking is that the word 'recovery' isn't quite sufficient to describe the time after my surgery. The word implies that I'm working toward feeling as good as I felt beforehand. But in this case, I'm working to feel much better than I ever would have felt otherwise. To be better, stronger, and faster, all without the benefits of bionics or superpowers!

With that in mind, what's the time after surgery supposed to be like? One surgeon has described it like being a puppy. Sleep, walk around a bit, maybe eat a little, and then sleep some more. That sounds OK I guess, as long as I don't develop a need to chew on shoelaces or similar :-)

After preop tests a week beforehand, I'll check in to the hospital the morning of my surgery. I'll head home after 5 or 6 days or so. I'm sure it'll be a great feeling to be back in my own bed at that point! I'll rest at home and slowly rebuild my strength over the next 4 weeks, taking some walks and enjoying the Fall weather. I may have a visiting nurse during those early days, but Ann Marie and kids will be my real caretakers during this time. At the 5 week mark my surgeon will check up on me and tell me it's OK again to drive, as long as he doesn't learn my driving style, that is :-) At roughly 6 weeks after surgery, I'll probably be ready to return to work. Knowing how much I like my work (honest), I'll have to be careful not to jump in sooner than I should -- I don't want my only real energy of the day to be spent at the office.

After all of this, and a bit of good luck, I'll have no restrictions. Watch out, mountain bike trails of Maryland!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, yea. All this is nice and all, but what we all really want to know about is, How was driving the Lexus?????? :>D

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Great job on the writing. It really reads like you, especially the joking about the valve parts. I also like your note about "recovery". That is, the target to be better, faster than before. So, if you'll be the puppy I promise to come by and let you out.
Ray