Sunday, September 7, 2008

Great times

It's always been important to me to work very hard at things we must do in life to make time for the things we want to do. Work hard, play hard, I guess you could say. This comes mostly from my parents and siblings, who I've watched put endless energy into the things they love. It also comes from time I lost as a kid in front of the television, watching game shows and bad sitcoms. What I wouldn't give to get those hours back to put to better use!

It should come as no surprise that during the summer there was plenty of "must do's" before my scheduled surgery on September 24th. Ann Marie and I have been tackling them together, dealing with the hospital administration and health & disability insurance companies, getting our finances in order, creating my living will, fixing things around the house and with the cars, setting up a second computer at home, buying comfortable post-surgery clothes, and even setting aside blood for surgery.

So what I made sure of when I wrote each "to do" list, was to mix in the fun stuff. And I'm happy to say we've just about got it all done. I've got to say, that feels great, not to mention how blessed we feel to have had the time, and good health, to do so!

Here's a taste of the high points:
  • In July we enjoyed our first official "staycation", which meant doing day trips from home instead of traveling for vacation. The kids said they loved it cuz we'd be able to re-visit the fun places we found -- what a great perspective! Finding fossils on a beach, riding and piloting a schooner on the Chesapeake Bay, paddling kayaks in Annapolis, watching the 4th of July parade and fireworks in our Nation's capitol, have some great battles in bumper boats & laser tag, kids competing in Maryland track & field event, and swimming in some great water parks. Wow.
  • Also in July we celebrated my Mom's 80th birthday with a reunion. A great photo slideshow tribute, some Euchre, swimming, outdoor games, and plenty of visiting with the ~60 or so that made it!
  • We've also done some biking, both on nearby mountain bikes trails and into DC on the Capitol Crescent trail. After a few too many falls I decided to replace the pedals that lock my feet down to traditional pedals, albeit with good traction. Sure, I might eventually learn to ride with my feet locked down, but something tells me now's not the time to be injured doing so!
  • Ann Marie and I had a wonderful weekend away near the Virginia / West Virginia / Maryland border, taking a day trip down Skyline Drive in idyllic convertible weather, and stopping at the place where we were engaged almost 17 years ago! Staying on 400+ acres made us feel like we really got away.
  • We made a few visits to nearby Silver Spring for church, a movie at a great theatre, shopping, and lunch.
  • Ann Marie, sister Susan, and kids travelled to Cleveland to visit family and friends.
  • I drove to New Jersey to spend time with great friends from years past, and even had the luck to see my Mom, sisters Patty and Carolyn & families, and brother Bill.
  • I continued to Lime Rock Park in northwest Connecticut for vintage auto races featuring Ferrari, Bugatti, Lotus, Porsche, and other classics. Perfect weather, camping for 3 nights, and great roads to & from made for a wonderful trip. And in an effort to make the most of my time, I worked each night from about 4 until 10pm -- it sure helped having a laptop and wireless Internet at a nearby restaurant :-)
So, two weeks to go and still more to do. Sure, the chores are a bit of an uphill climb, but honestly I wouldn't trade these good times for anything!

2 comments:

Becky Moseley said...

Sounds like you're doing a great job packing it all in while you still feel up to the running around.

Know that we'll be thinking of you during your recovery process. Just use the down-time to plan your next fun family endeavors!

maggy said...

Hi Chris,
I'm so happy that you got everything done on your list. I'm so impressed that you incorporated fun things in there as well, that's something that I need you to teach me. Hey, how was your birthday?

love and hugs,
maggy