Thursday, October 23, 2008

Key goal reached early

So one of the key goals of this surgery was to allow my heart to shrink in size. All those years of a leaking valve meant the heart, or more specifically the left ventricle, was growing -- after all, it's a muscle that grows from workouts like any other. Untreated, the heart would have grown so large it wouldn't do its job properly, and with surgery too late it would never truly recover.

Amazingly my echo cardiogram on Tuesday showed that my heart has already shrunk to what is considered "normal". This is even more incredible since my heart never measured that size since we started measuring it in 2001. And that it happened that quickly was a real surprise to my cardiologist - he doesn't believe he's ever seen such a quick recovery.

So, "big hearted" guy jokes aside, I must say I'm pretty psyched with these early results!

2 comments:

maggy said...

Excellent!
maggy

Anonymous said...

That sounds great!
Don't forget the F1 race this weekend! Last race of the season!!!!