Monday, October 13, 2008

My name is Chris, and I'm a former narcotics user

Well it was somewhere around the end of last week that I went through the night without any pain medication. I hadn't taken any during the day since coming home from the hospital, but the nights simply required it if I'd hoped to get any sleep. But last week I simply felt that I didn't need it, and in fact haven't used since.

Wow, what a difference. Sure, some of the weird dreams stopped (granted, to be replaced by others), but that didn't surprise me. I had no idea how this narcotic was affecting me during the day until I stopped. I'm much more awake, have more of an appetite, have more energy, am less sensitive to temperature changes, and am less-likely to turn on Bob Marley music. Since then I've done a few 2+ mile walks and, get this, have stayed awake past 8:30pm! Wild, huh?

Now if only they'd let me operate heavy machinery - that would make me feel more like myself. Something like a bulldozer would be great, sure. I could knock some stuff down, then run over it. Yeah. Actually I cheated yesterday and drove my S2000 down the street and around the cul-de-sac. 240hp under my right foot is just the therapy I need! Fortunately Ann Marie took over and drove on some great roads, in great weather, with leaves falling and the convertible top down. I'll take that over narcotics any day :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Check out Dig This in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. You can spend a day playing with bulldozers and other heavy equipment.

Anonymous said...

Whats wrong with Bob Marley music?

Nooooooo women no cry.

:) :>D ;>P

Chris said...

Oooh, "Dig This" looks fun. Gotta get me some seat time!

maggy said...

You crack me up "My name is Chris and I'm a former narcotics user"...lol

maggy