Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Responsibilities

Several times during the last few months people have said to me "you seem so ready for this surgery ... you seem to have everything covered". Well if we ignore for the moment that I generally like to be prepared for things, and that I have had several months to prepare, it's easy for me to explain why I've been so motivated to be so "ready". It's because I see it as my responsibility.

First and foremost I've got a responsibility as husband and father. Knowing I had a heart condition all these years, I did my best to stay in shape and eat generally well (except of course for the occasional Costco hot dog ;-). Sure, the kids got tired at times playing soccer or some other high-cardio sport that got me the exercise I needed. Who knows, maybe they'd be shuffleboard champions if it wasn't for me. One of them will even tell you of when I rode my bike around the block like 12 times while they timed me and raced me down the hill in front of our house. It was my way of including them, and having a heck of a lot of fun, while at the same time getting a vigorous workout. And for sure Ann Marie held down the fort while during my many trips to the gym. But while all that exercise couldn't prevent surgery, it's great knowing my good health is part of what qualifies me as a candidate for the procedure I'm having -- that is, one that greatly reduces the likelihood of another heart surgery in my future.

Of course, responsiblities go a lot further than exercise, and extend further than Ann Marie and my kids. Things like prepaying bills, fixing gutters, straightening out finances -- and making sure we have fun along the way -- all factor into my motivation. The less my family has to take care of these tasks, the more they can recover from surgery just like I'll need to. And the better I listen to my doctors and nurses, focusing on recovery and walking after surgery even when I don't feel like it, the sooner I'll be able to come home, talk with family and friends, and eventually return to work.

So, no, it's not that amazing that everything seems "so ready". It's just my job.

No comments: